Sport and exercise are integral in the life of Bablake Junior school pupils. Everyone benefits from three and a half hours of expertly coached games and PE lessons each week. Extra practices and clubs mean that most children take part in sport every day. We know that this is good for them and sport is enjoyed by all.
We aspire to full participation and the pursuit of excellence with our sporting endeavours and over time, every pupil gets the chance to represent the school. Fixtures are organised for A, B, C and even D teams and recently over 60 runners represented the school in the boys and girls Coventry Schools cross-country event. There is nothing like the thrill of competition to bring focus and a determination to do your best.
Our sports education is carefully delivered and lessons are engaging for all. Our teams are successful and many pupils go on to represent the district and county at sports varying from tennis and badminton to cricket and football. Most importantly, everyone enjoys taking part.
In addition to the curriculum based sport there are a large number of activities before, after and during the school day which are enthusiastically supported by the pupils. Everyone is encouraged to take part in these activities. Our many school teams are all managed by qualified coaches and we have an excellent record of success.
Boys have competitive fixtures in football, cricket, rugby, cross-country and athletics. Girls compete against other schools in hockey, netball, rounders, cross-country, athletics and tennis. We enter swimming galas and biathlon competitions.
Determination and great coaching brings success!
In recent years the school has enjoyed much competitive success, winning the vast majority of fixtures played. Titles won include:
- 2015: County cricket, Croft Netball Tournament, Coventry Schools cross-country
- 2014: Midlands cricket, county cricket, Coventry Schools cross-country, several netball tournaments
- 2013: County hockey, several netball tournaments, Coventry Schools cross-country
- 2012: King Henry VIII Netball Tournament Winners, Coventry Schools cross-country. Several pupils have represented Great Britain in Biathlon competition this year.
- 2011: West Midlands Year 5 Team Biathlon, Coventry Schools & St Martin's cross-country
- 2010: West Midlands Individual and Team Biathlon, Coventry Schools & St Martins cross-country
The school benefits from excellent sporting facilities and playing fields including:
- Swimming Pool
- Sports Hall
- Tennis and Netball Courts
- Football and rugby pitces
- Astroturf and many other grass pitches.
Children take part in the following sporting activities:
- Martial Arts
- Biathlon - swimming and running
The environment at Bablake and the nurturing of the staff are fantastic.