Department successfully delivering the diverse and challenging subject of Physics to all students within the school.
- Mr T Hyde (Head of Department)
- Mr M Duerdin
- Mr J C Hobday (Head of Second Year)
- Miss J L Simmons (Head of Wheatley House)
- Mr K Binsley (Lab Technician, Duke of Edinburgh Coordinator)
Four well equipped specialist laboratories.
Combined science course for years 7 and 8. Physics is taught as a separate subject in year 9. Single and double award science IGCSE (Edexcel) plus AS and A2 course - AQA.
The main aim of the department is to stimulate an interest and curiosity about the world around us. This is done at all levels throughout the school by using a very practical approach to the subject, by relating it wherever possible to the pupils' everyday experience and by managing lessons to ensure active participation by all pupils.
In this way, we are committed to setting challenging objectives and providing effective support to enable each student to fulfil his/her potential.
Excellent results at AS and A2 ensure almost all pupils are able to study at their first choice university. Subject specific courses include Physics, Astronomy, Engineering, Natural Sciences and Medicine and many pupils go on to study such courses at university.
- Physics Club: exciting activities for year 7 and 8 pupils.
- AS: Engineering Challenge Scheme - a great opportunity for prospective engineers to work on a genuine engineering challenge alongside practising engineers.
- GCSE and AS Physics Olympiad - a chance for able students to develop and test their Physics beyond the requirements of the examination specifications.
For more information, contact the department head at: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is a wide variety of clubs and societies, coupled with solid teaching to provide all round education