Bablake's commitment to the Arts, including our pride in our current Gold ArtsMark status, makes Music a key component of our curriculum and co-curricular provision.
All pupils benefit from some form of music education as music is known to encourage neural development relevant to all subjects, and our skills-based teaching helps prepare pupils for future working environments. Making music, whether using voices, instruments or software, involves true multi-tasking and coordination of mind and body.
Performance skills and opportunities for public performance develop discipline as well as building our pupils' confidence, while in co-curricular activity there are opportunities to perform with ensembles, chamber groups and, through the Arts Award, to organise and lead charity concerts. There are many varied public performance events throughout the academic year, both in school and in venues in the city.
There is a dynamic co-curricular programme. The following rehearsals and classes take place weekly:
- Monday - Brass Quintet, Worship Group, GCSE workshops, Arts Award, Wind Band
- Tuesday - Flute Choir, Senior String Ensemble, Orchestra
- Wednesday - Brass Ensemble, Woodwind Group, Junior Choir, Swing Band, Rock School
- Thursday - Chamber Music Groups, Aural Class, Junior Strings
- Friday - Junior Choir, Chamber choir, Cello Ensemble, Theory Class
We also offer:
- Orchestral workshop days and masterclasses in partnership with the Orchestra da Camera
- A regular programme of lunchtime concerts at St. John the Baptist church
- Annual carol service at Coventry Cathedral
- Performance at the regional Music for Youth festival in Birmingham
- Concert tours, most recently Germany 2014 and Normandy 2016
- Our Community Service music group performs at local primary schools, care homes, hospitals and special schools
- Our extensive Outreach programme includes visits to local primary schools; sessions of African drumming, singing and class topic based composition work can all be arranged
A great school, with great opportunities.