Sub Menu
General Admissions

The specific application procedures for our Pre Prep, Junior School, Senior School and Sixth Form are explained below. 

Please click here to request more information or a prospectus.

Junior and Pre Prep School

Join us at anytime!

Entrance to Bablake Junior and Pre Prep School is available any time where vacancies exist. 

Submit an application form

If you would like your son or daughter to be considered for entry into the Junior School or Pre Prep, please complete our application form. 

Arrange a visit or a taster day

As part of the application process, we recommend you visit the school so you can experience first hand what makes us such a special place.

To arrange a visit or a taster day please call the Junior School (ages 7-11) on 02476 271 260 or the Pre Prep School (ages 3-7) on 02476 221 677.

We look forward to welcoming you into our school.

Entrance Assessments

During their time with us, pupils will make a considerable amount of progress. Our entrance assessments are about recognising a child's potential and not simply what or how somebody has been taught. Pupils come to us from many different backgrounds and have had varying educational experiences.

Once we have received your application form we will then invite your child in for an entrance assessment. We hold a Year 3 and Year 4 entry examination for those pupils looking to start with us in September on the first Saturday in February. Entrance assessments for older children looking to join throughout the year, or younger children at the Pre Prep, take place on any suitable occasion or during a visit.

Junior School (ages 7-11) Assessments

It is our hope that all of our pupils will go on to gain entry into the Senior School.  This is quite an academic challenge and we, therefore, accept children into Bablake Junior and Pre Prep School who we feel have that potential.

In the Junior School entrance assessments in Reading, English and Maths are based on the work that will be done by the children at their current schools.  In Reading, we assess each child's skills in comprehension, spelling and grammar and we also ask them to do a little writing. In Maths, we expect each child to have a broad ability and a working knowledge of mathematical terms.

Pupils will also have to complete a non-verbal reasoning paper.  This test seeks to give an indicator as to their potential and suggests how easily they may acquire new concepts.

As well as sitting the entrance assessments, we will also contact your child's present school to get further information about their progress to date.

Pre Prep School (ages 3-7) Assessments

Pre Prep pupils can progress into Year 3 at the main school site without the need to take the normal entrance exam. We, therefore, have a child-friendly, informal assessment procedure for pupils wanting to join the Pre Prep full time, pre-school (3+) year in Kindergarten or later into Reception, Year 1 or 2. It is preferable that pupils accepted into the Pre Prep have the long-term potential to succeed at Bablake School.

To facilitate this process we invite children to come into school for a morning to spend some time with their prospective classmates and to meet the teachers. The experience is planned to be a positive one; children join us from many different backgrounds and we are looking for potential. Your child's visit can take place at any point in the academic year as we approach the date of their enrolment. For entry into Kindergarten, this visit should take place in the Summer Term preceding entry.

Senior School

Our main intake is at 11+ when we welcome new pupils into Shells (Year 7). In addition to this, we accept new pupils into the Second, Third and Fourth Years as well as a substantial number into the Sixth Form for A level study. 

We are looking for pupils who are academically able and who will embrace the ‘Spirit of Opportunity’ that we value so highly. Our pupils work hard to ensure that they achieve their academic potential, and they feel supported and encouraged by attentive pastoral care. Furthermore, pupils are passionate about their involvement in the wider life of the school, and the huge choice of co-curricular activities means that there is truly something for everyone. 

Our 2019 Entry Booklet provides all of our admissions information which is also detailed below.

Entry at 11+

Pupils join Bablake from a wide range of schools and each academic year, we welcome children from up to 40 different primary schools! Approximately half of our intake into Shells (Year 7) will come from our own Junior School.

We would recommend that all prospective pupils and their parents arrange to visit to the school on a normal working day so you can experience the nurturing environment of Bablake and to speak to staff and pupils.  

11+ Entrance Examination

Prospective pupils will be required to sit our 11+ Entrance Examination which includes papers in English (composition and comprehension), Mathematics and verbal and non-verbal reasoning.

To register for the 11+ Entrance Exam parents are asked to complete an application form and return it to the Admissions Officer, together with the Application Fee of £50. 

To help prepare your child for the Entrance Examination we send out practice papers after we receive your application form. The vast majority of 11+ applicants will take our Entrance Examination on the main Entrance Examination day which is held in October each year. We are able to arrange for 11+ applicants to take the exam at other times during the year, however, those taking the exam after this date will not be eligible for bursaries or scholarships.

Entrance Exam Revision Support

Pre-selection  - Year 5 testing

We offer pre-selection testing for children in Year 5 which takes place on Wednesday 15th May 2019.

Pupils sit papers in English (composition and comprehension), Mathematics and verbal and non-verbal reasoning. After the test parents receive a letter indicating the likelihood of success at 11+, based on their child's pre-selection performance. Verbal feedback is also offered to give parents an idea of their child’s strengths and areas on which they may need to focus. The vast majority of those who sit the pre-selection test apply for the 11+ examination (no further registration fee is required) and are able to build upon their performance of the previous year. 

To register for the pre-selection test parents are asked to complete an application form and return it to the Admissions Officer, together with the Application Fee of £50. 

Please note the deadline for pre-selection applications for the 2019 assessment is Friday 10th May 2019. 

Entry into other school years (12+, 13+, 14+ entry)

We welcome applications for entry into our Second, Third and Fourth Year at any point during the school year, and also hold an Entrance Examination day which is held in October each year. To register your child please complete an application form and return it to the Admissions Officer, together with the Application Fee of £50.

Our Bablake Entry 2019 booklet explains this information in greater detail.

Sixth Form

Sixth Form 

Every year we welcome many students from the local area and further afield into the Sixth Form. The tutorial system and small class sizes ensure that they settle quickly into the Bablake family and that their individual needs are met in the classroom, on stage or in a sports arena.

The House system and wide range of co-curricular activities also enable pupils new to the school to integrate quickly and to flourish socially as well as academically.

Prospective students are advised to attend the Sixth Form Open Evening which is held during the Autumn term. The evening enables students to meet others who have joined Bablake for the Sixth Form and to attend presentations by staff and students relating to the wide range of A level subjects offered.  For those who miss the Sixth Form Open Evening we offer tours of the school on a normal school day as well as Sixth Form taster days, which can be arranged by contacting Admissions on 024 7627 1248 or by submitting an enquiry form.

For 2019 entry into the Sixth Form parents are asked to complete an application form and return it to the Admissions Officer by Friday 7th December 2018.

Please note we are still welcoming applications for September 2018 entry, please call Admissions on 024 7627 1248  for further information on the application process.

Scholarships and bursaries are also available for Sixth Form students at the main point of entry.

Subsequent to receipt of an application form, students are invited to interview with the Headmaster, Mr John Watson, and the Head of Sixth Form, Mrs Alison Tumber, and a provisional offer may then be made (dependent upon predicted GCSE results). 

For further information on our Sixth Form please see our Sixth Form Prospectus.

International Applications

We have a small number of Sixth Form students from Mainland China and welcome applications for Sixth Form entry via our agent, Gateway. Upon receipt of an application and completion of the international entry examination, we will invite successful candidates to interview through Skype. A high standard of English is required for students to cope with the level of work expected of them in their A level studies at Bablake. Students stay with host families locally and are encouraged to take part in the wider curriculum that Bablake offers outside the classroom - so that they can benefit fully from life in the Sixth Form. 

Gateway's details are as follows: 

Gateway Education 

2-4 Darnell Way 

Moulton Park  

Northamptonshire  

NN3 6RW 

Tel: +44 (0)1604 642 082 

Email: applications@gateway-education.co.uk

For information regarding applications from elsewhere overseas, please contact the Admissions Officer, Mrs Laura Baines by email: lb@bablake.coventry.sch.uk

Bradley is a very confident, polite, adaptable and capable young man and we thank you for the part you have played in helping him be that person.

Senior School Parent
1975

we became co-educational