Department successfully delivering the diverse and challenging subject of Physics to all students within the school.
- Mr T Hyde (Head of Department)
- Mr J C Hobday (Head of Year)
- Mr M Spencer (Head of Year)
Four well-equipped specialist laboratories.
There is a combined science course for Shells and Second Years. Physics is taught as a separate subject in Third Year. Physics IGCSE (Edexcel) is offered from Fourth Year. Physics A level (AQA 2 year course) is offered to Sixth Form students. Optional GCSE Astronomy (Edexcel) is also available to Sixth Form students as an additional qualification.
The main aim of the department is to stimulate an interest and curiosity about the world around us. This is done at all levels throughout the school by using a very practical approach to the subject, by relating it wherever possible to the pupils' everyday experience and by managing lessons to ensure active participation by all pupils.
In this way, we are committed to setting challenging objectives and providing effective support to enable each student to fulfil his/her potential.
Excellent results at A level ensure almost all pupils are able to study at their first choice university. Subject-specific courses include Physics, Astronomy, Engineering, Natural Sciences and Medicine and many pupils go on to study such courses at university.
- Junior Science Club: exciting activities for Shell and Second Year pupils.
- Engineering Challenge Scheme: a great opportunity for prospective engineers to work on a genuine engineering challenge alongside practising engineers.
- EPQ: a number of students will choose to do an extended project qualification on a physics topic in the Sixth Form.
For more information, contact the department head at: email@example.com
There is a wide variety of clubs and societies, coupled with solid teaching to provide all round education